Android upgrade to 1.12 and user data

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alep
Android Port Maintainer

Android upgrade to 1.12 and user data

Post by alep »

Hello, I am the guy who did the unofficial android port you may have noticed here : http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=195
Soon the 1.12 will be out and I'll need to provide upgrades to Android users.
My problem is: what to do with user data folder (i.e. $HOME/.wesnoth-1.10) on 1.12 upgrade?
Keep in mind that on some devices users may not have direct access to that folder.

The easiest thing to do (for me) would be starting with a new (empty) folder thus discarding user data, but if something amongst:

- savegames
- add-ons
- preferences file

can be safely kept without compromising the game I'd gladly modify to the upgrade procedure in order to copy it to the new data folder.

Savegames probably won't break anythihg, they may just not be loaded... right?
About add-ons... probably the best thing would be to drop them, since they may break a lot of things, or do you have any suggestion?
What about preferences file? Is it safe to pass it from 1.10 to 1.12?
Dugi

Re: Android upgrade to 1.12 and user data

Post by Dugi »

I know this might not be the best idea, I am an outside here, but still I hope that my suggestion will not be completely out of place.
How about using a new folder for the 1.12 version in the update, and reuploading the 1.10 version to Google Play as Battle for Wesnoth (legacy) and write about it in the update to 1.12?

If you try to load old save files, a lot of things will get messed up, it will not crash but there will be weird stuff going on, glitches, error messages etc. Add-ons from 1.10 usually need porting for 1.12 unless they contain preprocessor macros to handle version inconsistency, problems range from various glitches and error messages to crashes on loading. I've seen compatibility problems with the old preferences file too. If you use the old stuff for the new version, you will have to face countless error reports and add-on authors will suffer too.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

alep: If I understand correctly, loading 1.10 saves in 1.12 won't really be supported, there's several things that are likely to break. I can point you to an irc discussion if you like.

It's up to UMC maintainers to port their add-ons to 1.12, so its probably best for phone users to download the 1.12 release versions.

As far as preference file goes -- I don't know if it is officially supported to carry it over? I imagine that it might be, however there was a bug report here in which a player reported problems when they copied their 1.10 preferences to 1.12. Note however that the bug report was highly inconclusive. https://gna.org/bugs/?21800
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Ok, thank you very much for the quick answer.
I think I'll be going for the empty folder on upgrade... as it seems to me that trying to keep things is more risky.
Dugi wrote:How about using a new folder for the 1.12 version in the update, and reuploading the 1.10 version to Google Play as Battle for Wesnoth (legacy) and write about it in the update to 1.12?
A new app for the legacy version may be a good idea, but it won't save user data unless I find the time to build a way to exchange data between the two apps: in android every app runs as a distinct OS user... so the "user home" concept is a little different from traditional linux.

Rather, my idea was to use the same app for both versions for some time (a couple of months or so), and while new installs will run 1.12 existing users will be able to decide when to do the upgrade.
After the transition time the upgrade will be mandatory (and maybe I could upload the legacy app, then...)