Something that really annoys me

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Adamant14

Something that really annoys me

Post by Adamant14 »

Something that really annoys me playing BfW 1.11 is this line:

Code: Select all

Descriptions should no longer include the name as the first line. (2)
And I don't understand the reason.
Why should descriptions not include the name as the first line?
What is the problem here?

And for what stands (2) ?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Something that really annoys me

Post by Anonymissimus »

I suppose the (2) means there were 2 messages of this kind.
It did not only annoy you: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?20716
1.11.5 will be out soon.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Adamant14 wrote:Something that really annoys me playing BfW 1.11 is this line:

Descriptions should no longer include the name as the first line. (2)
And I don't understand the reason.
Why should descriptions not include the name as the first line?
What is the problem here?

And for what stands (2) ?
The problem is abilities/weapon specials with their name as the first line of the description. This used to be the correct way to do it, but it has been changed in 1.11.

I personally haven't run into it lately, but it is very annoying, especially since it doesn't mean anything the first time you see it.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Yeah, I had to search through the source code to locate this, because the changelog didn't mention this. And still, it really annoys that it does not specify where is the incorrect ability description, or even what is its name.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Dugi wrote:And still, it really annoys that it does not specify where is the incorrect ability description, or even what is its name.
The former isn't possible, the latter is in 1.11.5.

Most of the cases in my addon (all but one) were located in my utils/abilities.cfg :). Grepping through the addon for the abilities' names should reveal them all.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Grepping through the addon for the abilities' names should reveal them all.
Good idea. But there is no common key unique to abilities, and there are like 10 possible names for abilities... still, it is a way to do it.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Adamant14 wrote:What is the problem here?
The problem is that extracting the ability/special name from the description (in order to give the name pretty formatting) relies on UMC authors to do things a certain way. Better is to get the name from the name attribute, which has the nice side effect of reducing the contents of the description attribute to just the description.

If you insist on keeping the name in the description, nothing too bad will happen. It's just that in 1.13/14 your descriptions will get displayed in-game as:
[b]<name>:[/b]
<name>:
<description>
Kind of redundant; 1.11/12 is your transition period to make changes to your WML.

bumbadadabum wrote:especially since it doesn't mean anything the first time you see it.
Sorry. It gets better in 1.11.5. (Should have been made better in 1.11.4, based on when someone informed me they found the message too terse, but I've been busy.)

Dugi wrote:Yeah, I had to search through the source code to locate this, because the changelog didn't mention this.
For something like this, "Compatibility-breaking WML and Lua syntax changes" might be a better resource than the changelog, since that topic lists only those changes that break compatibility.

Dugi wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:Grepping through the addon for the abilities' names should reveal them all.
Good idea. But there is no common key unique to abilities, and there are like 10 possible names for abilities... still, it is a way to do it.
:? At face value,

grep -r "--exclude-dir=.*" -e "description *=[^:]*:$" data/*
looks like it picks out all instances in the stable (1.10) branch, with only two false positives. So why is no common key unique to abilities an issue?

Hmm... it also picks out some things I missed in trunk. Better fix those up.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

"Compatibility-breaking WML and Lua syntax changes
Whoa, never seen this before. The change in the way events are fired when advancing is not mentioned, though. It caused me a lot of pain.
grep -r "--exclude-dir=.*" -e "description *=[^:]*:$" data/*
Yeah, does the trick. I guess I should learn to use regular expressions once.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

JaMiT wrote:Hmm... it also picks out some things I missed in trunk. Better fix those up.
Clicking on the elvish champion in the test scenario emits some stuff. I suppose those are added by an [object].
projects (BfW 1.12):