Help Getting Started

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SCogan

Help Getting Started

Post by SCogan »

Hey everyone,

My teammate and I are working on a project for our Data Structures class. The goal of the project is to take some open source software, find out what some of its core data structures are, make some changes to them, and in the end see if we can improve the software's performance or add new features. We chose your game because we're both fans of strategy games, and we actually wrote our own simple turn-based strategy game last semester for another programming class. We've downloaded the source code and gotten it to compile, but we're having a bit of trouble deciding where to go from here. What would you recommend as far as places to start? We're hoping to improve performance, perhaps by decreasing load times or reducing resource use, but we're unsure as to what exactly the most taxing parts of the game are. Or, another option for us is to fix some bugs with the game, so if there are any sizable bugs you know of that involve how the game stores and manipulates its data, we'd be interested in that, too. I'm sure you get posts like this a lot, but if you could take some time and help us get started, we'd be very grateful.

Thanks.
TheScribe

Re: Help Getting Started

Post by TheScribe »

Hi!

I'm not a part of the dev team or anything, but there is a bug page on gna.org. Hope this helps! :)

P.S. Welcome to the forums.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Help Getting Started

Post by Sapient »

The core generic data structure for WML is the config. See config.cpp/.hpp for that. However, trying to optimize that code will probably give you a big headache.

Depending on your definition of a "data structure," the classes which represent game objects such as units may count. See unit.cpp/hpp for the unit class.

The bug list is at bugs.wesnoth.org ... you can probably find something easier there.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."