School project - AI ... LISP

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

DavidW

School project - AI ... LISP

Post by DavidW »

Hello, I am studying computer science at a university. For my Artificial Intelligence class I have to come up with a project to work on. My prof is strongly recommending that the project be done in LISP.

I am considering writing AI for Wesnoth. If I do this, I will probably be using ECL so that I can compile it to C code and call it in that way. (http://ecls.sourceforge.net/ecldev/devel_2.html

Does someone want to encourage or discourage me from doing this? There are probably much easier projects that I could pick (such as pacman). I'm impressed at the level of documentation that Wesnoth's code has but I will still probably be nagging some of you for explanations on how it all fits together.

Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: School project - AI ... LISP

Post by Boucman »

I would recommand not using lisp and using one of our frameworks... AI in wesnoth is complicated, and we will not accept another language. Translating it to C would probably mean a layer of unreadable code (autogenerated code is usually unmaintainable, since it's not meant to be rad by humans) that we would have trouble maintaining

I'm not how much time you intend to dedicate to the wesnoth AI but wesnoth is particularly hard for an AI, so you could probably do some improvements to the AI but not "write an AI" that's way too complicated. You will have to integrate into our existing framework (c++,lua, or formula AI)

moreover i'm not sure how much your courses would have as far as applying what you are taught.

in real complex AI, AI theory is very important chunk, but still a small chunk of the overall work.
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim

DavidW

Re: School project - AI ... LISP

Post by DavidW »

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to tone down my ambition and so I've picked a simpler project to do this time.