'Feature Cooling'

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

'Feature Cooling'

Post by Dave »

In our progression toward 1.0, I want to enter a stage of 'feature cooling', while will progress toward feature freeze.

As part of this, I am now announcing that non-trivial user-contributed patches that add features to the game will have any consideration delayed until after version 1.0.

I suggest that any coders who want to help out should turn their attention to submitting patches which fix bugs. In fact, submitting patches that fix bugs is generally a very good way to gain the confidence of the Wesnoth development team :)

Also, the Wesnoth development team will try to slow the number of features that are added to the game, in preparation for release.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: 'Feature Cooling'

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dave wrote:As part of this, I am now announcing that non-trivial user-contributed patches that add features to the game will have any consideration delayed until after version 1.0.
Would you make an exception if some user came up with a really good fog-AI patch? (Not that I plan to make one...)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

the perfect is the enemy of the good.
the very good could side either way I suppose
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: 'Feature Cooling'

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Dave wrote:As part of this, I am now announcing that non-trivial user-contributed patches that add features to the game will have any consideration delayed until after version 1.0.
Would you make an exception if some user came up with a really good fog-AI patch? (Not that I plan to make one...)
Any 'really good' patch could lead to an exception.

But then if I met a unicorn it could lead to an exception too.... ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming