Some questions about gui implementation in an SDL app

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

governor

Some questions about gui implementation in an SDL app

Post by governor »

So I am doing some research into getting a gui into an SDL application. I have basically built a SDL framework to implement my own gui, but lost interest after getting buttons to work. Difficulties eventually arise from actually rendering text properly and the massive amount of work that goes into list boxes, menus and so on. Basically all the downstream implementation is a lot of grunt-work that doesn't interest me anymore.

So I look on the net for good SDL gui libraries in c++. Nothing jumps out. There are a bunch of projects that barely got further than I did and others that seem to focus more on OpenGL. Not what I am looking for.

Then I come across this: http://code.technoplaza.net/wx-sdl/part1/ which is basically integrating wxWidgets into SDL. Immediately I think "Woa! Awesome" for the simple fact that wxWidgets is amazingly good and potentially exactly what I am looking for. Code::Blocks uses wxWidgets and it is one of the most crisp and professional ui's I have used.

So now my questions:
1) In developping Wesnoth, which gui libraries were considered and rejected?
2) Why did Wesnoth decide to implement its on gui, and then recently redevelop a gui?
3) Would BfW devs consider the use of this wx_SDL blend now? Why, why not?
4) Does anyone here have experience using it, it is worth pursuing?
grrr

Re: Some questions about gui implementation in an SDL app

Post by grrr »

Why would you need to embed a UI toolkit into SDL? Do it the other way around!