Re: Some Suggestions for Improving the GUI & General Appeara

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kess

Post by Kess »

First, sorry for “barging” in on a closed dev topic. I’m not sure whether this is the right route (posting in an open forum) or if I should have sent some PMs or done nothing at all instead.
Eleazar wrote:
AI wrote: Thing is, with combinations of quick, strong and resilient, the order of the traits does make a difference and IIRC, this is deliberate. (greater variety or something)
I see. "Quick" modifies HP by a percentage, and several other traits modify HP as well. It seems like in most cases the difference would be almost negligible.

However, even if this difference is deemed to be of vital strategic important, that's still no reason why the a standard listing order shouldn't be used whenever the trait order doesn't matter.
I had not thought of the order of traits as being important. To keep in line with KISS, perhaps always do the relative calculations before the absolute ones or vice versa? That would allow ordering as Eleazar proposes.

EDIT: Don’t know what I was dreaming when I wrote the following section, please skip it.
zookeeper wrote:
Eleazar wrote:Terrain Type Readout
I'm surprised this one hasn't been fixed yet. In the upper right corner there's a readout that tells you what kind of terrain the mouse is over. Unfortunately it gives you the name of the specific terrain variation first and then if there's any room left, gives you the name of the basic terrain type--

I'll add a bit to this: the terrain readout should somehow also show how the defense and movement are determined for mixed terrains. Currently there's no indication whatsoever and you have to select a unit and hover over that terrain and figure it out from there.

However, I don't have any particularly good ideas about how to do it given the very limited space we have there. :hmm: I was thinking some small shield and foot icons to put next to the component terrain names, but those would only work well for terrains which have "defense of X, movement of Y", not for terrains which have for example "defense of (best of X,Y), movement of (worst of X,Y)". If this part of the panel could be extended one row down, then that'd give plenty of space (movement details on one line, defense details on the other), but on a single horizontal line it seems rather hard to do.

Any clever ideas?

Display it in a pop-up when hovering with the mouse, icons and all?
Last edited by Kess on April 24th, 2010, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kess wrote:First, sorry for “barging” in on a closed dev topic. I’m not sure whether this is the right route (posting in an open forum) or if I should have sent some PMs or done nothing at all instead.
zookeeper wrote: I'll add a bit to this: the terrain readout should somehow also show how the defense and movement are determined for mixed terrains. Currently there's no indication whatsoever and you have to select a unit and hover over that terrain and figure it out from there.

However, I don't have any particularly good ideas about how to do it given the very limited space we have there. :hmm: I was thinking some small shield and foot icons to put next to the component terrain names, but those would only work well for terrains which have "defense of X, movement of Y", not for terrains which have for example "defense of (best of X,Y), movement of (worst of X,Y)". If this part of the panel could be extended one row down, then that'd give plenty of space (movement details on one line, defense details on the other), but on a single horizontal line it seems rather hard to do.

Any clever ideas?
Display it in a pop-up when hovering with the mouse, icons and all?
How exactly are you going to hover over a hex and the terrain readout at the same time? :?