Computer AI's

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Froobloops

Computer AI's

Post by Froobloops »

I don't know which would be the best thread to ask this, but are there any other AI's in the add-on's other than the default?
The best way to win a game in Wesnoth is "All your base are belong to us".
Derekkk

Re: Computer AI's

Post by Derekkk »

Before the developers disabled the python AI feature in 1.6/7, there used to be a AI called bruteforce.py which ships with the game. If I remember right, it should be in some of the earlier 1.5.x. (or 1.4?) There is also a python AI called tommy which you can probably find on the forum.

Since the developers have disabled running of python AI in newer versions, you will have need to have an earlier version to run those two AIs.

Dave also made a functional formula-AI which is hidden somewhere in the wiki (and might be on the forum as well), but that's mostly for purpose of illustrating how formula AI works.
Froobloops

Post by Froobloops »

thanks for the reply, i remember seeing some of what you're talking about in previous versions but whenever i selected them the computer didn't even move... i did read something about them reforming the AI in the next version so i am pretty psyched for that.
The best way to win a game in Wesnoth is "All your base are belong to us".
Crab
Inactive Developer

Post by Crab »

There are three ways in which we are reforming AI :
1) we split the AI into components. This will allow to change the AI piece-by-piece. (e.g. reuse fully working AI, and add/remove small pieces of functionality to/from it - this is much easier to do and test). In svn version, there's already some examples of AIs which are constructed from multiple components.
2) we continue to develop formula_ai as a language for writing AI instructions.
3) we are using aforementioned mechanisms to improve default AI (by improving recruitment, improving attack selection, etc)
Gaiyamato

Post by Gaiyamato »

Gday, not sure if this goes here but anyway.

I was looking at your game for part of my Computer Game Design and Production class (Uni) and couldn't help noticing your own ai scripting you guys are working on.
Is formula_ai open source or something else restricted to this game only?
Is it possible to get a look at it or is it built into the game too much?
Is the scripting adaptable to other TBS games?

AI is where I'm looking at doing my next Thesis and I am studying a degree in Computer Games Design at UTAS Australia, so I am highly curious.

Thanks very much. :)
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

our code is entirely open source, FAI included

the formula engine is used in at least another game (not TBS though) in fact it was ported from that game to wesnoth, not the other way round...

if you want to discuss AI you might want to join #wesnot-dev on freenode, that's where most of the coder chat takes place...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Gaiyamato

Post by Gaiyamato »

Thanks.
I'm sure you guys have this info elsehwere on your pages, but I'm a busy man.. even when I'm playing Wesnoth. lol.

I'll check out the chat some day if I get the time.
No mailing list is there?
MDG

Post by MDG »

Gaiyamato wrote:Thanks.
I'm sure you guys have this info elsehwere on your pages, but I'm a busy man.. even when I'm playing Wesnoth. lol.

Mailing list?
Gaiyamato

Post by Gaiyamato »

MDG wrote:
Gaiyamato wrote:Thanks.

Mailing list?
*subscribes*
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

note that the ML is usually used for dev announcement, the coder discussion are really on IRC
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Gaiyamato

Post by Gaiyamato »

Noted, thanks.