AI on C++

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ball00

AI on C++

Post by Ball00 »

Greetings all! I played some time and have studied Wesnoth, and I write on C ++. I have the purpose, it is connected with university, to write an artificial intellect on C ++. Whether there is an opportunity of what the artificial intellect written by me on C ++, will be in the official version of game Wesnoth if it will be good enough?
Ball00

Re: AI on C++

Post by Ball00 »

To write AI on Python I have no an opportunity and time as Python I did not study it and accordingly I do not have time for its studying.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sure, if you write a very powerful or interesting AI it could become part of the official version.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

you might want to have a look at [w]SummerOfCodeIdeas[/w] it's not about C++ AI specifically, but there are some good hints at what sort of AI we would be interested in...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Caligo

Post by Caligo »

I am also interested in writing an AI for Wesnoth. I played the game quite a bit a couple of years ago, and over the past couple of days I had a refresher course (definitely looks nicer then I remember).

I have some ideas, but its getting late to post anything elaborate (it may require pictures). I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring so to speak.

Cheers,
Caligo
Ball00

Post by Ball00 »

The nearest week I shall lay out on a forum methods and variants of parts of my version AI on C ++.
Ball00

Post by Ball00 »

I have absolutely forgotten about the main question: honesty AI. On how many AI should be fair?
King of Polo's heart

Post by King of Polo's heart »

Why don't use the C ? It's also good.

(Yes, I don't know programing in C++^^)
Sincères salutations...
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

The GAME is written in C++ and it wold be difficult to write the Game in two different languages...
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

King of Polo's heart wrote:Why don't use the C ? It's also good.

(Yes, I don't know programing in C++^^)
Because C is not object-oriented. If you look through the Wesnoth source code you'll notice that we take advantage of C++ features (templates, Object Oriented Programming, operators overload,...) all over the place.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

C is a subset of C++ (yeah, I know it's more like the other way round, but ok)

you coulod write some C++ in pure C style, but that is frowned upon in the wesnoth community. We try to de real OO programming and use some advanced C++ features when needed.

C would probably be much harder to program, because it's a language that does not deal well with complex data structures and complex programs. The simple set of features of C means that the programmer's mind has to think a lot to handle basic concepts. By providing advanced tools, C++ frees the programmers's brain of all sorts of problems, allowing him to focus on more advanced coding structures, which leads to transforming complex problems into manageable pieces easily
King of Polo's heart

Ok, thank you.

So I will learn the C++^^
Sincères salutations...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

C++ is not C on steroïds... it's much more than that.

C is a functional language
C++ is object oriented and we use that heavily. Don't just learn the language, practice. It takes quite some time to master...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

C is not a functional language, it is a procedural, imperative language. Lisp and Haskell are functional languages. The point still holds though.
King of Polo's heart

First, thanks to all.

So programming is like Tae-kwon-doe, to be a master you must always practice...

I think it's because you must take the goods customs, isn't it? Like the ";" in C...
Sincères salutations...