Static HTML files for units

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

elricz

Post by elricz »

Eleazar wrote:Nice.
I'd recommend when you select a faction or race, that it display only that faction or race. Even with my cable connection it can be annoying to wait for everything to load when you already know what you want.
I like this idea, we should show a main page with the links to either the whole trees, or just by the different races/factions. Can anyone design a nice home page for that?

Now my task is to generate each individual tree on a separate file, it is not hard at this point. I am also half way of the campaign units, they may also fit on this layout. Keep you posted.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Looks good! I would suggest giving access to wesnoth.slack.it to elricz. This isn't my decision though, and I'm not sure how one would go about it either. But it would be best I think, since I'm not really involved with Wesnoth anymore (ever since it switched to svn and I couldn't get that to work), I don't have much free computer time, and I don't have anything to do with this units script anyway.

Or maybe another way to do this would be for me to setup some sort of system where for normal updates (of the script), elricz can just tell the server to update the script from another place (such as where it is now) without ssh access. I just think it would be best for the unit info to be in the same place, and also for updates to the script that creates it to not rely on me. ;)
elricz

Post by elricz »

Thanks, for now all I need is an FTP or SFTP account, the script works offline generating the files, and then I manually upload them. With a ssh account the process could be different, what would need to be uploaded are the configuration files, and then run the script to generate the static pages.
I also think that it is better to not change the address of the unit pages.

By the way, I have completed the trees by race and faction, and the front page with the links. Working on the campaigns now, it gets a little messy here.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Cool.

It may not be best to post campaign units. Besides the Hero units, many of these are enemys that are supposed to be surprises. Sure the player could lookin the the WML to see what will happen in the campaign, but far fewer player will do that than will surf to a web page.

The old version didn't do campaign units, once we separated them out IIRC. I don't know the reason, but certainly there's less general benefit in being able to call up Konrad's online.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
elricz

Post by elricz »

Eleazar wrote:It may not be best to post campaign units. Besides the Hero units, many of these are enemys that are supposed to be surprises. Sure the player could lookin the the WML to see what will happen in the campaign, but far fewer player will do that than will surf to a web page.
That sounds wise, not because it can be done it has to be done :)

I will work on the images and forget about this, then. First check if I can get the portraits and the female images on the unit profile, and then learning to change the team color.

Additionally, other potential improvement I was thinking is the use of the translation files, to offer the information in more languages. I have to check how to do it, if possible.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

The lastest version looks really nice, including the advance from field :)
elricz

Post by elricz »

I have uploaded the files for the first translation, Spanish. Some comments:
  • - I had to change some wording and capitalizing of the unit and tree templates, to match exactly the contents of the .mo file.
    - The code to translate the description of the units needs a revision, there are some of them that are left in English
    - The Spanish wesnoth.mo file didn't have entries for the different races (or at least I couldn't find them). Are they in any other file, or should they be there?
    - Same with the terrains Canyon and Fungus
Even with all this, I think that the final result is readable. The only pieces of information that I have translated manually were "Advance from:" in the unit tag, the headers of the tree pages, the "Race" word, and the links on the main pages. I think it can be repeated for other languages.

In any case, each language will take around 1 Mb of space, I may upload other one, but after that we should think on a different solution (wesnoth.slack.it?)
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I'm a noob to translations but digged a bit in the po files and it seems the races are in plural eg; humans, elves and orcs.

Fungus == "Mushroom Grove" and is in the file
Canyon == "Chasm" and is in the file

Maybe after the string freeze gets released it would be possible to add these translations also to the official translations, but better ask a transtor. "Advance from" will probably enter the translations due to a patch to add them to the help files.
elricz

Post by elricz »

I am using the .mo files, as it easier for me to create a hash from them, but they should have the same information as the .po ones. The .po file I am browsing now in the svn is the one in /tags/1.1.12/po/wesnoth/es.po, and it looks the same as the .mo that I have used (no races, no canyon/chasm)
Where is the file with the format Fungus == "Mushroom Grove"? I may not be looking in the right direction.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I used another one but just checked with http://svn.gna.org/svn/wesnoth/tags/1.1 ... noth/es.po

Here's some of the parts I found, didn't look for more races

Code: Select all

#: data/english.cfg:17
msgid "Elves"
msgstr "Elfos"

#: data/english.cfg:18
msgid "Humans"
msgstr "Humanos"

#: data/english.cfg:19
msgid "Orcs"
msgstr "Orcos"

#: data/help.cfg:487 data/terrain.cfg:374
msgid "Mushroom Grove"
msgstr ""

#: data/help.cfg:516 data/terrain.cfg:429
msgid "Chasm"
msgstr ""
The latter two are empty and I just heard it should fall back on
English but I don't know how that is in the MO files empty or automatically the English version.
elricz

Post by elricz »

Thanks, I don't know what I was doing wrong, maybe just too tired. Now the races (just four of them, the ones in the english.cfg file) are translated, and I have changed the fungus and canyon to their game names, mushroom grove and chasm.

Keep trying to figure out why some descriptions didn't translate...
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

No problem.
I see you found the female images as well:)

I found a small problem, in the main directory the stylesheet files are missing.
elricz

Post by elricz »

I think I found the origin of the translation issue, the units are not translated in the game either. There is a "#, fuzzy" tag in the .po file, and it looks like the .mo file doesn't contain that information. I have posted in the Spanish translation for help on that.

The style sheet error is also solved, I just went to bed while uploading the files and the connection broke. Now it is correct.

And yes, I found how to include the female. I have my doubts with the portrait, more in the sense on where to put it in the template than how to do it.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I think i set the background too dark.
I recommend:

Code: Select all

body {
   background-color: #999;
   font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
elricz

Post by elricz »

Thanks, it is applied.

I am uploading now other three languages, German, Italian and French. I don't speak any of them, so the translations are completely left to the code.
With the current templates, this is the list of words/phrases that are not present in the translation files:
  • - Wesnoth unit tree
    - Based on version 1.1.12
    - Race
    - Dwarves
    - Goblins
    - Lizards
    - Mechanical
    - Mermen
    - Monsters
    - Nagas
    - Ogres
    - Troll
If somebody post/PM the translations, I can incorporate to the script.

Apart from that, I need to change the code to translating the race headers on the main race tree, and the abilities of units with more than one in the tree representation (they are shown correctly in the unit profile).
There may be other errors, just I am not aware of them at this time. Please let me know if you spot them.