Multi-hex tiling

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Actually, the "Canyon" problem is a problem where both proposed solutions are absolutely equivalent. And not something complex to code :) (but it is a good test case)
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Ayin wrote:Actually, the "Canyon" problem is a problem where both proposed solutions are absolutely equivalent. And not something complex to code :) (but it is a good test case)
I'm glad that it won't be difficult to code. I sent Dave a zip file with the completed set. If you want I can send it to you. You might also tell me if some more combinations are required (I didn't did all the possible 3 or 4 way connections). Would it also be possible to code for multiple layer of terrains (at least one additionnal for structure like bridge) or is it a separate and unrelated problem?
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Christophe33 wrote:I'm glad that it won't be difficult to code. I sent Dave a zip file with the completed set. If you want I can send it to you.
Why don't you put it online, so anyone can download it?
Christophe33 wrote:You might also tell me if some more combinations are required (I didn't did all the possible 3 or 4 way connections).
It depends on the scenario designers who introduce canyons. I don't really need all connections to test the code :)
Christophe33 wrote:Would it also be possible to code for multiple layer of terrains (at least one additionnal for structure like bridge) or is it a separate and unrelated problem?
It is a separate problem. My solution will support mutiple overlay graphics on a single tile (see, for example, the "castle" problem: there are few less castle tiles than possible combinations of castles and keeps, each tile is built from 1 to 6 overlay images), but defining a "bridge over canyon" terrain without defining a new type of terrain will not be possible (however, defining a new type of terrain and making it have a dynamic tile will).
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Ayin wrote: Why don't you put it online, so anyone can download it?
I did post a zip file with most pictures (about 30)...then posted a few more individual pictures. I didn't wanted to post again a zip file for a few pictures so I just sent it to Dave in case he wants to use them.
Christophe33 wrote:Would it also be possible to code for multiple layer of terrains (at least one additionnal for structure like bridge) or is it a separate and unrelated problem?
It is a separate problem. My solution will support mutiple overlay graphics on a single tile (see, for example, the "castle" problem: there are few less castle tiles than possible combinations of castles and keeps, each tile is built from 1 to 6 overlay images), but defining a "bridge over canyon" terrain without defining a new type of terrain will not be possible (however, defining a new type of terrain and making it have a dynamic tile will).[/quote]

So, if I get it right, we could get away with having only two set of terrains for each bridgeableterrain ... for example a canyon and a bridge canyon, a swamp and a bridged swamp...your code will them automatically determine the bridge orientation.
It's already a good first step and will allow to to get rid of at least 6 pictures for the briddge-canyon while allowing more bridge-canyon terrain than I made. In theory it could be possible to reduce further the number of pictures for the canyon using your overlay approach to make the bifurcations and even the turns. I did have to do some touch up when I generated the various turns by combining pictures by hand...and added some cracks here and there but it should be possible to get most of the canyon parts in various overlays.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Ayin wrote:but defining a "bridge over canyon" terrain without defining a new type of terrain will not be possible (however, defining a new type of terrain and making it have a dynamic tile will).
Hmm...theoretically why won't it be possible?

If the bridge tile is next to a canyon then assume it's a bridge over a canyon. If it's next to shallow water, assume it's a bridge over shallow water.

Of course, if it's over both, you can have a problem (although even this can be solved in many cases by choosing the one that has more occurences adjacent to it). I think that this solution would make it work in almost all cases.

No?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

How about redefining the map so that there is a (white-)space between the terrains between each hex. adjacent terrain characters without space would then be the layers in order so

m m m h c s/ c m m m

would have a shallow water(?) with a bridge over the top of it. Maps would still be ascii editable, but we get the benefit of layered terrain.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Dave wrote:If the bridge tile is next to a canyon then assume it's a bridge over a canyon. If it's next to shallow water, assume it's a bridge over shallow water.
Oh... Yeah, very smart! I did not think about that ;)
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Both Dave's and Darth Fool varaints sounsd interesting. MIne was simply touse more ASCII characters, for example "|" is the bridge over shallow water while ")" is the bridge over abyss and "!" the bridge over canyon...
It's a quick fix that doesn't require code but we might run out of characters that way.
An alternate way using the same principee wwould be to use capital letter to indicate a bridge, so "s" would be shallow water and "S" a bridge on shallow water, k could be canyon and "K" a bridge on canyon... it is simple and logic. The only problem is that capitals letters have already been used for some terrains, without much systematic logic. "h" for hill and "H" for snow hill is fine, but "S" was used for snow. The letters could be reorganized to obtimize their usage such as the capitalized letter correspond to a variant of the non capitalized one. Some terrain might have more than one variants but at leat we would solve most problem that way.The main problem is that present maps would have to be "translated"...and there would be no backward compatibility except if a translation system is included ifor some time in BfW for older map.
I supposed that ASCII doesn't allows for bold, underline or other text enrichment witch would be usefull for these cases.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I can't claim to fully understand the discussion in this topic.
However, if you make the bridge-making routine so when given a choice it draws a diagonal bridge instead of a N-S bridge, i can guarantee that it will look better in-game.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity